Thursday, April 20, 2017

Caring For My Elderly Mother With Cancer

For about four years, I was a part-time, paid caregiver for my mother when she was very elderly.... She was in remission from cancer for over half that time before the cancer returned but she needed assistance with her living....

My mother and I hadn't always had a good relationship but we were both making an effort to be kind to each other in her later years....  Not to say that it took an effort, but sometimes it did....  And we were both at peace with each other when she died; and I was happy about that....  It's possible to get through difficult problems and I'll write more about this separately....

It was too late to help my mother but I read a book called "Radical Remission," which was promoted through the cancer support centre.  The author Dr. Kelly Turner, Ph.D.--at www.DrKellyTurner.com--interviewed and studied over a thousand people who got over their cancer....  The project took around ten years....  Dr. Turner found some common characteristics between the survivors and she explains them in her book....  Myself, I found it very positive and encouraging that there are answers for cancer--either along with conventional cancer treatment or sometimes without it....

No comments:

Post a Comment